Friday, February 4, 2011

Mint chip brownies

     The idea for these brownies took a long and myriad trip before ending up in my stomach tonight.  Part 1: Eating delicious (probably the best ever!) brownies at Russian River brewing company while on vacation this summer.  Part 2: Wanting to replicate that feeling and taste at home.  Part 3: Realizing the brownies were good (although not as good as Russian River brownies) but would be even better with mint chips.  Part 4: Long desperate search for mint chips.  Seriously, they don't sell them anywhere!  Part 5: Final discovery of mint chips (and salt pork [but that's another story...]) at a Henry's Market in my hometown of San Pedro, CA in November.  Part 6: Bringing said mint chips up in my car where they sat in the cupboard until today.  Part 7: Finally making the brownies. 
     What do you think?  I think it could make a riveting Hollywood blockbuster.  There's drama, suspense, a mystery, discovery and a super sweet ending.  Alright Hollywood producers, eat your heart out!


Mint chip brownies
Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened, plus a little more for greasing pan
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup toasted walnuts
3/4 cup mint chips1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over very low heat, stirring occasionally. When chocolate is just about melted, remove from heat, and continue to stir until mixture is smooth. Meanwhile, line an 8-inch-square baking pan with greased aluminum foil.
2. Transfer mixture to a bowl, and stir in sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add flour, salt and vanilla and stir to incorporate. Stop stirring when no traces of flour remain.  Add in the nuts and mint chips.
3. Pour into pan, and bake 20 to 30 minutes, or until set and barely firm in the middle. Cool on a rack before cutting.


Yield: About 1 dozen brownies.

     Of course, Scott and I couldn't wait until they cooled which meant we had a very warm, crumbly, melty brownie cake.  Oh my, but it was delicious!  I think I can feel my waistline expanding now!


The chocolate sugar mixture

The final batter

Out of the oven

Close up on mint chip goodness...

2 comments:

  1. I know there is somewhere in town (east side) that has mint chips because Laurel make mint chip cookies every year. I think they may be Andes mint chips. I suppose you could always chop up a bunch of those! That would be yummy. I wish I could taste these for you, but alas no gluten for me. :-(

    They look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes? If you ever find out, I would love to know! I couldn't believe that no groceries around here had them! Some had mint and chocolate chips mixed together, but not just plain mint chips. Ooooo.. chopped up Andes mints would be delicious! I love those things; I could eat them (and often do) by the handful!

    ReplyDelete