Thursday, November 3, 2011

A different Macaroni and cheese attempt

     So, after all the crazy food-eating extravaganza on the cruise ship, I had been determined to lose some of the cruise ship fat and go on a post-cruise ship "diet."  When I got back home, however, somehow or another life was too busy for me to remember to eat right.  I was eating better than I had been on the ship, but still not the way I should.  So, after finally remembering my promise to myself, I decided to try a new recipe.  One healthier, but still definitely in the vein of this food blog and my so-called "diet."  What is it, you may ask?  Why, it is none other than...

Creamy Cauliflower Mac



Makes: 4 servings


Time: About 45 minutes


Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for greasing the baking dish
Salt
2 1⁄2 cups vegetable or chicken stock or water
2 bay leaves
1 cauliflower, cored and separated into large pieces
8 ounces elbow, shell, ziti, or other cut pasta, preferably whole wheat
1 ⁄2 cup grated cheese (like sharp cheddar, Gruyère, or Emmental or a combination)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, or to taste
1 ⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, or to taste
Black pepper
1 ⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 ⁄2 cup or more bread crumbs, optional

Procedure:


1. Heat the oven to 400°F. Grease a 9-inch square baking dish with a little oil. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it. Put the stock with the bay leaves in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. When small bubbles appear along the sides, about 5 minutes later, turn off the heat and let stand.


2. Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until very tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Scoop the cauliflower out of the water with a slotted spoon and transfer it to a blender or food processor. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until still somewhat chalky inside and not yet edible, about 5 minutes.


3. Remove the bay leaves from the stock. Carefully process the cauliflower with 2 cups of the stock, the 2 tablespoons oil, the cheese, mustard, nutmeg, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. (You may have to work in batches.) If the sauce seems too thick, add the remaining 1⁄2 cup stock. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Pour the sauce over the pasta, toss, and spread the mixture evenly in the dish. (You can make the dish to this point, cover, and refrigerate for up to a day; return to room temperature before proceeding.)


4. Sprinkle the top with the Parmesan and bread crumbs if you’re using them. Bake until the pasta is bubbling and the crumbs turn brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot.


Variation:

Less Creamy Cauliflower Mac: Cut the cored head of cauliflower in half instead of into large pieces. In Step 2, cook only half of the cauliflower until it’s very tender, then transfer it to the blender or food processor as described. Chop the remaining half of the cauliflower into large pieces and add them to the boiling water along with the pasta. Proceed with the recipe.

     Sounds interesting, huh?  I'll have to admit I had my doubts but I was also very curious about the recipe.  Why not?  Well, I will have to say, it was actually really good.  Not macaroni and cheese super rich super delicious cheese coming out of every pore good, but quite satisfying.  There was just enough cheese to make it have that great mac and cheese taste but the cauliflower made me feel slightly less guilty about eating it.  I didn't have any vegetables with this dinner, because I figured they were already in the dinner!  I recommend trying it.  It's something different.  And cauliflower really does become nice and creamy when you cook it and then blend it.  My favorite part?  Watching the cheese melt upon the cauliflower when I threw it in the food processor.  My most favorite part?  Sneaking bites of the cheese here and there while I was cooking...



Cauliflower macaroni and cheese.  I couldn't quite get the bread
crumbs to brown, but it came out delicious none the less






.

1 comment: