Friday, July 6, 2012

Roasted Eggplant Cilantro dip

     Around the same time that I got the idea to make the salsa, I also came across this recipe and wanted to try it.  I couldn't decide which one I wanted to make (salsa or eggplant), so I decided to buy the ingredients for and make them both.  Well, I made the salsa right away but the eggplant just sat and sat and sat.  Until the Fourth of July.  Where I thought it would make a lovely addition.

Roasted Eggplant Cilantro dip
from Simply in Season by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wert

Ingredients:
2 medium eggplants, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
2-3 cloves of garlic, peeled
3-4 tbsp olive oil
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of 2 lemons
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Procedure:

1) Preheat oven to 350 F.
2) Soak eggplant cubes in a bowl of cold water for 20 min.  Drain.  Place in a single layer on a baking sheet.
3) Add garlic and 1 tbsp olive oil to the baking pan.  Stir to coat eggplant with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4) Bake in oven, stirring occasionally, until brown and soft, 20-30 minutes.  Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
5) Put eggplant/olive oil in a food processor and add 2-3 tbsp of olive oil.  Mix until thoroughly blended.
6) Add half of the lemon juice and cilantro.  Let the mixture stand about five minutes, taste and adjust the flavor with more lemon or cilantro if needed.

     And the verdict?  It was okay.  It came off as a little to lemony and a little too cilantroey (which is saying a lot as I love cilantro).  I did add only half of the lemon juice, although I wasn't quite as careful with the cilantro.  It also needs something else flavor-wise but I can't tell you quite what.  Make it if you'd like.  Go gently on the lemon and cilantro until you get the flavor you like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment