Thursday, September 27, 2012

Green chile stew

  Continuing on the green chile theme, this time with Scott's favorite soup.  This one we had to modify quite a bit, but once we got it right it was amazingly delicious!

Green Chile Stew (from Authentic Southwestern Cooking  by Lynn Nusom)

Ingredients:

3-4 tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 lb. ground pork
3 cups chicken stock or broth
3 cups water
6 mild long green chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
4 large potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups corn, cut off the cob or frozen
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp dried, crushed oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp salt

Procedure:

1) Heat the oil in a large pot and saute the garlic and onions for 3-4 minutes.  Add the ground beef and pork and cook, stirring, until cooked through.  Add the rest of the ingredients and cook over low heat for approximately 1 hour or until meat and potatoes are done.

  Okay, so here's how I made it differently:

-For one thing, I didn't used two different types of meat, just all ground beef.
-I used 6 cups of chicken stock.  What in the world is the point of diluting the chicken flavor?
-We used way way more than just 6 green chiles.  We initially used maybe 8 or so, found it wasn't spicy enough, and so chopped up maybe 4 more into long strips and put it in the soup.  Made all the difference!
-The corn I used was from a can.  Why is it that when they give corn as an option they never offer canned?  It's always fresh or frozen.  Weird..
-I used purple potatoes, as that happened to be what I had around.  And, if you know me at all, you know I didn't peel them.  I hate peeling!
-I added in more flavorings like hot sauce, a chile pepper grinder and I don't remember what else.  Play with spices!

  In the end, after all that tinkering, it came out quite delicious.  And spicy!  I'm talking spice in your ears spicy!  Mmmmm....

Green chile stew in a bowl I made on our honeymoon

Showing the green chile strips in the stew



No comments:

Post a Comment