Saturday, February 23, 2013

Potato pancakes

     After making all that sauerkraut, I thought it would only be appropriate to have a German-style meal of Bratwurst sausages (two kinds), sauerkraut and potato pancakes.  So, here you go:

Potato Pancakes, version II (from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything)

Ingredients:

About 2 lbs. baking potatoes, such as Idaho or Russet, peeled
1 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. any oil or butter

Procedure:

1) Grate the potatoes by hand or with the grating disk of a food processor; drain very briefly, pressing lightly.  Mix in salt.
2) Heat the oil or butter over medium heat, preferably in a large, seasoned cast-iron or non-stick skillet.  Drop potatoes in by large spoonfuls, flattening the pancakes with the back of the spoon.  Don't try to turn them until they're brown and crisp on the first side.  Turn and continue cooking until brown and crisp on the second side, about 6 to 8 minutes total.

     And that's it.  Those who have been reading my blog would probably guess that I didn't peel the potatoes.  They'd be right.  And potatoes are super easy to grate in the food processor (have I mentioned how much I love that thing?).  I should mention that Mark Bittman also includes a traditional potato pancake recipe (latke) in his book as well as a variation to this recipe which calls for one big potato pancakes, but I just did the simple one used here.  I had had this recipe in the past and remembered enjoying it.  Alas, for one reason or another (I think my stove just doesn't produce enough BTUs for really hot cooking), it took forever for the pancakes to cook.  And, by the time they were cooked, they were mostly crisp all the way through and not the crispy-on-the-outside but potatoey-on-the-inside that I was looking for.  So, I would make it again, but perhaps not on the stove.  Or perhaps, next time, I'll try the latke variation.  Either way about it, the version I made was too crispy and oily.  Oh well.  The sausage and sauerkraut variation was very good.

One of my better potato pancakes

Sausages and a bit of a burnt potato pancake.  As you can see
from the juices left on the plate, I had already eaten all of my sauerkraut.

No comments:

Post a Comment