Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Beet chips... which really turned into potato chips

     I love Wednesdays.  Wednesday is when the Food and Wine section in our local newspaper, The Santa Cruz Sentinel comes out.  On Wednesday, February 19th, the SC Sentinel had an article on how to make beet chips.  Having read about beet chips in other cookbooks, I decided to try to make it and went out and bought a bunch of golden beets.  As it turns out, New Leaf only had tiny golden beet bunches, so I sliced some potatoes and put those in there as well.


Jenn Lynne of Happy Boy Farms in Freedom says her recipe for beet chips isn't exact but pledges it's a good one. 

Bunch of fresh beets
Olive oil
Sea salt

1. Preheat over to 425 degrees.
2. Thinly slice your beets, toss in olive oil and sea salt and spread on a rimmed baking sheet.
2. Cook until they begin to burn on the edges, which makes for a better end texture, 15 to 20 minutes. Watch closely. You can remove chips as they become lightened in color. Transfer to a wire rack; chips will crisp up as they cool.

Mostly potato chips

Close up of potato chips
     Anyways, these tasted quite good but (except for a few) weren't really crunchy.  More like roasted potatoes/beets than chips.  I think I should have just left them in for longer, but knowing the funkiness of my oven I just removed them before they all burned to a crisp.  Try it at home and let me know if it comes out any better for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment