Monday, October 20, 2014

Broiled Tilapia Tacos

     This was a delightful idea that came from a craving for Fish tacos.  After my craving hit, I looked around for recipes and finally settled for one from the latest addition of Cuisine at Home.  As you can see down below, the results were amazingly delicious!

The whole spread
Delicious fish tacos
Broiled Tilapia Tacos from Cuisine at home issue no. 107 September/October 2014

Makes 4 servings (8 tacos)
Total time: 45 minutes

8 corn tortillas, wrapped in foil (6-inch)

FOR THE SLAW, TOSS:
2 cups angel hair coleslaw

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup each thinly sliced red onion and radishes
3 tbsp. olive oil, divide
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice, divided
salt to taste

FOR THE SAUCE, PUREE:
1/2 cup sour cream
1 avocado
1/2 jalapeno

FOR THE TILAPIA, COMBINE:
2 tsp. each ground cumin and garlic powder

1 tsp. each dried oregano, ground coriander, and kosher salt
4 tilapia fillets (4-5oz each)

Preheat broiler to high with one rack 4-5 inches from element and another rack in center.  Place tortillas on center rack.
For the slaw, toss together coleslaw, cilantro, onion, radishes 1 tbsp. oil and 1 tbsp. lime juice; season with salt
For the sauce, puree sour cream, avocado, jalapeno, and remaining 1 tbsp lime juice in a mini food processor; season with salt
For the tilapia, combine cumin, garlic powder, oregano, coriander, and 1 tsp. salt.  Brush both sides of tilapia with remaining 2 tbsp.oil and sprinkle with spice mixture. Transfer tilapia to a baking sheet, broil on top rack until flesh is firm , 7-10 minutes.
To serve, break tilapia into chunks and divide among tortillas.  Top tacos with slaw and sauce.

The broiled tilapia

    The results were amazing and surprisingly easy!  I think this is definitely going to be a go-to recipe for me in the future.  It also made me wonder why I don't eat fish more often; I've always thought fish was difficult to cook but the Tilapia came out great and was super easy.  I made a few substitutions, since I didn't have all of the ingredients.  Instead of a (boring!) jalapeno, I used Trader Joe's hatch valley salsa (about 3 tbsp).  I also didn't have coriander, so I used curry powder instead.  I think the result was very delicious.  The only thing that confused me is the fact that the amounts of spices, lime juice, etc. is different on the ingredient list as in the instructions.  I've actually made this recipe twice now, once with the (limited) proportions named in the instructions and once with the (more generous) proportions named in the ingredient list.  Both came out delicious, so I don't think it matters too much....

No comments:

Post a Comment