Friday, April 10, 2020

Baked eggs in acorn squash

     I joined Weight Watchers earlier this year and have had good success with it so far.  It's been difficult being at home and having access to my kitchen 24/7 and not baking/eating all of the fattening foods that's at my fingertips.  In light of this, I have been looking for healthier recipes and so made a modified version of Weight Watchers' Baked eggs in acorn squash with roasted peppers & dill based upon what I had in my house.


Baked eggs in acorn squash (modified from https://www.weightwatchers.com/us/recipe/baked-eggs-in-acorn-squash-with-roasted-peppers-and-dill/5bbe3f7c87c9820047f4c0d4)

Ingredients:

Two small acorn squash, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
Cooking spray
Kosher salt
Black pepper
Everything but the bagel seasoning
4 eggs
Shredded mozzarella cheese, enough to cover the top of each acorn squash half

Procedure:

1) Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2) Cut a thin slice off bottom of each squash half so it sits flat. Place squash halves, cut side up, on prepared pan and coat with cooking spray; sprinkle with salt, pepper, and everything but the bagel seasoning. Roast until squash are just tender and a paring knife can pierce flesh without much resistance, about 25 minutes.
3) Crack an egg into each baked acorn squash half. 
4) Return squash to oven; bake until eggs are set to your liking, about 15 minutes for a still-runny yolk and up to 20 for a set yolk. Sprinkle each with mozzarella and serve immediately.


  This was an easy, quick, nutritious lunch.  I liked the salty addition of the Everything but the Bagel seasoning.  A quick note (and one that may not be obvious if you're not used to eating squashes): the outside skin is not really edible but is quite easy to peel off.  I am finding that I like squashes more than I realized; I will definitely have to continue to play around with squash recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment