Friday, October 8, 2010

No food left untried part 2

Okay, now onto the perhaps not as adventuresome foods.  Except for the first entry.  Read on...

SNAILS
  In the form of escargot, of course.  I have actually had escargot twice in my life.  Once was on the same cruiseship where I tried the frog legs.  They served the escargot on the little escargot plate in sauce.  I remember enjoying it.  It was a bit chewy and tasted like the sauce.  The second time I tried escargot was in Paris, France.  When I was 19, I went on a whirlwind European bus tour with a couple of highschool friends.  When we stayed at this little camp in Paris, they offered us escargot.  Same reaction as before, only this time I got crunchy bits in addition to the chewy bits.  The crunchy bits may have been there on the cruise ship escargot, but I do not remember them quite as clearly.  Thank goodness I never had to remove them out of their shell as they came pre-shelled.  That would have just been a disaster (think Julia Roberts in "Pretty woman").

ALLIGATOR
   Casa de fruta (a wonderful dried fruit and nut place in Hollister, CA) sells all sorts of jerky.  One of them was alligator.  It tasted like jerky.  Nothing enlightening.

OSTRICH
  I've had ostrich twice in my life.  Once as a burger on Catalina island and another time quite recently as a sausage from Corralitos sausage company.  The burger was good; dense with a slight gamey taste.  The sausage was also quite enjoyable but it had a slightly off taste that I couldn't quite get into.  The consistency was also a bit off.  Perhaps too dense?  Like if you imagine ground beef that's been overcooked and hardened.  Scott, however, loved the sausages.

RABBIT
  I ordered this at a Moroccan restaurant in my hometown of San Pedro, CA.  I remember enjoying it although it has been many years so I cannot tell you more than that.  I do remember my friends and I making jokes about eating poor Thumper.

DEER
  Well, if I ate Thumper, it is only fair that I eat Bambi as well.  I had venison at another restaurant in San Pedro called the Whale's tail.  It was the first time I had been there and they had this on the menu.  Yummy although again a bit gamey.  Very moist.  I also had it again quite recently in sausage form from guess where?  Corralitos sausage company..  Mmmmm....

GOAT
  I quite enjoy goat meat and wish it were more available.  I first had it in Tijuana, Mexico.  I went down there with a co-worker of mine who ordered a couple of meat soups for me.  After I was about halfway done with the soup, she told me it was goat meat.  Fortunately, I was not the least bit offended and quite enjoyed it.  I have had it many times since and thoroughly enjoy it whenever I can get it.  If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it.

BOAR
  I had this at a German restaurant down in Orange, CA.  It tastes like pork but thicker and gamier.

GOOSE
  Same restaruant in Orange, CA.

ELK
  When Scott and I took our first road trip together, we saw a stand who was selling elk burgers right as we crossed into the Oregon line.  We pulled over and had very delicious burgers.  Very reminiscent of buffalo burgers.

SEA URCHIN EGGS
  Also known as Uni.  I tried uni at a Japanese restaurant.  I did not enjoy its flavor or consistency but at least I can say I tried it.  It tasted like old rotten seafood.  Yuck!

BUFFALO
  Since buffalo meat is so common, I almost hesitate to put it on here.  However, again, I tried it first on Catalina island.  Scott and I buy buffalo meat whenver we can.  Another meat I highly recommend, especially if you have never tried it!

OCTOPUS
  I have tried octopus on sushi.  I believe it was raw.  Very chewy but I definitely enjoyed it!  I also tried what I believe was octopus at my friend's house one night when I was in middle school.  My friend is Filipino and her mother loved to feed me (I didn't mind!).  I remember it being deep fried with a coating, so I wasn't sure if it was octopus or squid.  It was quite enjoyable but I got a sore throat afterwards.  I have always wondered if that octopus gave me the sore throat.

SQUID
  We've all had calamari, right?

SEAWEED
  Yes, I realize seaweed is common especially if you love sushi as I do.  However, I tried this seaweed straight out of the ocean as I was paddling off of Catalina island.  It tasted like relish.  I could never quite look at relish the same way again.

DUCK
  Another common thing.  I've had it twice.  First was at a Chinese restaurant where I thought it tasted like smelly feet.  The second was in Paris, France.  This was during the time of the mad cow scare so my friends and I opted for the duck a l'orange.  Delicious!

QUAIL
  This was another dish I had somewhere on the European tour.  I remember enjoying it.  I have also had quail eggs.  Exactly like chicken eggs except, of course, smaller.  One of them I had in a Syrian restaurant in London.  I don't remember which.

  Well, I am sure that there are more out there but that is what I can think of off of the top of my head.  Hopefully, I can add more on as time goes by.  I hope you have enjoyed!

3 comments:

  1. what no rattlesnake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love duck!!!!! so thats where bambi and thumper went....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't come across the opportunity to try rattlesnake yet. But, when I do, I will!!
    Toni, duh, I forgot about all the times I ate duck noodle soup with you! Still one of my favorite Thai soups!

    ReplyDelete