Sunday, June 19, 2011

Berry Muffins

  This post is brought to you by Derek William and Lynnelle Wing for sharing their honey.  Lynnelle and Derek have been beekeeping for the past year or so and generously gave some honey to Scott and I on thursday.  After receiving this delicious honey, I decided to search around for a recipe in which I could use the honey to honor them.  I kid you not, this is the most delicious honey I have ever tasted!  Yum!  So, with extra berries almost rotting away in the fridge, I decided on this one:

Berry Muffins (From Simply in Season by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wert)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil (I used Olive oil)
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen berries ( I used cut up strawberries and blueberries)

Procedure:

1) Mix all the dry ingredients together
2) In another bowl, mix all the wet ingredients (except the berries).
3) Fold in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened
4) Fold in the berries.
5) Fill well greased muffin tings 2/3 full.  Sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar.  Bake in preheated oven at 400 F for 15-20 min

     The recipe didn't include how you told the muffins were done.  Fortunately, I have made muffins before and knew that if you insert a toothpick into the muffin and it comes out clean it means that it is done.  The muffins themselves came out okay.  They were a little bitter to my taste for some reason, although the chunks of strawberries were delicious!  Looking at how little they rose (see pictures), I would say I probably need new baking powder as well.  But, at least they were relatively healthy as muffins go!  They were also a great thing to have for breakfast or a snack and lasted quite a while (the last ones were eaten today).  Thanks again to our friends Derek and Lynnelle and their bees, of course!


Berry muffins

A close up of whole wheat strawberry blueberry goodness

No comments:

Post a Comment