Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Oven-roasted tomato sauce

  This recipe comes to me from our good friends Leah and Jason Novak in Saugerties, NY.  Leah made this tomato sauce a few years ago and I loved it so much I asked for the recipe.  It is my go-to homemade tomato sauce.  Alas, I don't make it as often as I would like because of all the tomatoes involved, but when I do make it, I never regret it!

Oven roasted tomato sauce 

Ingredients:

8 cups (4 lbs) tomatoes, cut into 1.5"-2" chunks
1 cup chopped onion
4 cloves chopped garlic
2 tsp kosher salt
1/4-1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil

Procedure:

1) Heat oven to 450 F.
2) Combine all but basil.
3) Spread on shallow pan 1" depth.
4) Roast 40 min.
5) Stir in basil.
6) Mash lightly with potato masher.

  The result?  A delicious, flavorful, rich tomato sauce.  Try it out one of these days when you have lots of tomatoes and the need for a delicious meal!  Thanks again, Leah, for the recipe!

Homemade lasagna with oven-roasted tomato sauce

Gluten-free pasta with oven-roasted tomato sauce

1 comment:

  1. That sounds yummy. I make a similar thing but instead halve the tomatoes, scoop out the seeds and fill them with chopped garlic, parsley and salt, then a generous drizzle of EVOO. Cool that you are trying out GF pasta. That looks like the trader joes variety. How'd you like it? The Tinkiyada brand and the bulk qunioa pastas are my fav GF pasta. I might try this one, it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete