Sunday, January 30, 2011

Baked apples

     After the success of last week's (or was it the week before?) applesauce, Scott and I decided to buy a whole bunch of apples at saturday's farmer's market.  I decided to buy a variety of apples (as recommended by Mark Bittman) and cook them all up.  There are many possibilities for this many apples.  One of them is baked apples. 
     Baked apples are delicious.  If you have never made them, I recommend going out and making them now!  They are a delicious very "desserty" snack that also happens to be good for you.  I am also fortunate that I own an "apple baker", a piece of pottery that allows you to bake the apples from the inside out.  Now, if you don't own one, please don't despair.  It is very easy to bake apples in the oven without some fancy piece of equipment.  Here is how I did it (keep in mind I only have two apple bakers).

Baked Apples

Ingredients:

2 apples (I believe I used Braeburn but am not 100% certain)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp flour
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 cup melted butter
chopped walnuts
2 tbsp water

(Whoo! I had to do a little math there as the recipe is for four apples!)

Procedure:

1) Peel and core the apples.  The instructions don't mention peeling, but I thought the ingredients would stick better to the apples if it was peeled.  From the final result, I seem to be right...
2) Mix together the sugar, flour and cinnamon. (The flour in this recipe will turn the juice into caramel).
3) Roll apples in the melted butter and then in the sugar mixture.  Put on the post of the apple baker.
4) Put on the nuts and add the water.
5) Bake at 350 for 35-40 min (I baked it for about an hour and it turned out really well!)
6) Enjoy!



Yum!  Here are the pictures:
Here is the apple baker.  It is hard to tell, but there is a post in the middle
that goes through the apple to bake it from the inside out

Close up of cinnamon/sugar/walnut/caramel goodness..

2 comments:

  1. Oh my god I want some of that! It looks really good. I don't kow why I haven't baked some apples, I have a freaking apple in my yard. Thanks for the idea Katie. I think tomorrow I'll make some sort of apple treat for us. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're quite welcome! Baked apples are delicious! Of course, so is apple pie, applesauce, apple tarts, apple turnovers... you get the picture! Let me know how your appley dessert comes out!

    ReplyDelete