Sunday, January 30, 2011

Homemade pizza

     I'll tell you, sometimes it is hard being me.  What am I talking about you may ask?  Well, I mean living up to the reputation of being the best pizza maker ever!  At least, that's what Scott says.  I will have to admit, my pizzas are pretty darn good.  So, how do I make them?  This is where my bread machine really comes in handy...
     I don't remember if I have stated my opinion of bread machines on this blog.  Knowing me, I probably have.  Anyways, if you don't remember, I think that bread machines make good bread (certainly better than what you can buy at most stores) but not as great as truly homemade bread.  A big part of that (I think) is that the rising time is shorter.  The longer a bread dough rises, the more flavorful it will be.  However, bread machines are certainly a time/effort saver (not that it really takes that much effort to make bread if you have a food processor).  One thing that the bread machine does make really well without cost to flavor (as far as I can tell) is pizza dough.  So, here's the recipe for bread machine pizza dough:

Note: This will make enough dough for a 15" circle.

Ingredients:

1 1/8 cup warm water
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
3 1/3 cup AP flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp dry yeast

Procedure:

Add all ingredients to bread pan in the order given.  Set on "dough-only" feature (mine has a pizza dough setting).  When done, remove to floured board, if using immediately.

     After all this (non) work, you have a beautiful lump of pizza dough ready to go.  Now, if I were super talented I would throw it up in the air and spin it to make a pizza shape.  However, I am not that talented or coordinated so I just put it on a pizza pan, flatten it out, and roll it with a rolling pin.  The thing about working with dough that you have to remember is to give it time to relax.  When you start to work on dough, the gluten in it gets "elasticy" and it will start to go spring back so you can't roll it any more.  When this happens, let it rest for a few minutes and then try again.  I just roll it as far as I can and then go and prep ingredients (chop, cook, etc.).  After a few minutes have passed by, I repeat the process.  Eventually it will let you roll it all the way to the outer edges of the pan.  Now, since I don't do it throw it up in the air style, it tends to lead to a very thick crust (which I happen to like).  It is almost like toppings on bread.  Put whatever toppings on it you like.  I like to take a whole bunch of leftover stuff, slice it thin, and put it on.  I have used regular tomato sauce, pizza sauce and pesto sauce for a sauce.  You don't need to use too much, just put a little bit on and smooth it out with a spoon.  Shredded mozzarella is a good cheese to use.  I once made a pizza with a mozzarella base and goat cheese as extra.  Yum!  Top it with whatever you want (spread the toppings out evenly).  Put it in a 500 oven for 8-12 minutes or until the crust looks golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.  Let cool, slice and enjoy!

Here are a few pizzas I have made

My newest pizza.  Pizza sauce, chanterelle mushrooms, garlic, sliced ham and manzanilla olives

Pizza with thinly sliced sausage, black olives and artichoke hearts.

This one has pesto, chicken, olives, artichoke hearts, mozzarella cheese and goat cheese on it.
     Enjoy!  Let me know if you make one or if you want a non-bread machine recipe for pizza dough!

No comments:

Post a Comment