Sunday, January 16, 2011

Peanut Apple Salad

I love recipes that use up leftover ingredients.  Especially when those are leftover ingredients from other recipes that you have made.  I have been inspired by our friends (and ex-wolfies) Jason and Leah when we go and visit them over the Christmas break holiday.  One of the ways that they have inspired me is to introduce me to the cookbook I used for this recipe, Simply in Season by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wart.  Simple premise for a cookbook: eat local and eat those foods that are in season.  We are fortunate here on California that a lot of those foods that would be out of season anywhere else are still in season here.  However, it is still difficult to get some foods (how I miss the days of summer fruit in the middle of winter!).  Anyways, I ordered this cookbook as a Xmas present and stumbled across this recipe for Peanut Apple salad.  It uses up leftovers I had from making the red beans and rice (coconut) and the winter bean soup (celery).  I didn't have any raisins (and I don't like them) so I skipped that part.  Anyways, here's the recipe:

Peanut Apple Salad

8 apples, chopped
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup peanuts, pecans, or walnuts
1/4 cup shredded coconut

Combine in large bowl.  Set aside.

1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar

Combine then pour over salad.

I know- sounds weird- peanut butter and mayonnaise?  But it works.  I think the sugar helps bind the tastes together and the milk gives it a creamy consistency.  I think it could definitely benefit from something like raisins as it is very crunchy without them.  Not bad, but I think raisins or another dried fruit would provide an excellent contrast in textures.  Enjoy!


Simple and delicious


Plus it is healthy for you, too!


1 comment:

  1. you could try golden rasins, or dried cherries in this and when in season I bet green grapes would taste good in it too.

    ReplyDelete