Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Leftovers crustless quiche and sourdough attempt #2

     Before I start this blog, I would like to give a big thanks to my friend Keri.  She posted this recipe for her crustless quiche and it sounded so good that I had to try it that day.  My beloved husband (to be) went to the grocery store and picked up more eggs so we could make it.  It is a very simple recipe, it used a lot of stuff I just had hanging around the fridge and best of all it was delicious! 
http://kiwikeri.blogspot.com/2011/01/crustless-quiche.html

Some ingredients that go well in this dish are:

rice of any kind or flavor
lentils
broccoli
bacon
any leftover meat
hash browns even frozen ones
yellow squash
mushrooms
quinoa
or anything else you can think of


HOW TO MAKE CRUSTLESS QUICHE:


1. preheat over to around 375
2. pull out all leftovers and assorted veggies from fridge
3. cut all veggies into small pieces trying to keep sizes uniform
4. put all your veggies into a glass pie pan, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt pepper, other seasonings ex. turmeric, Italian seasonings, garlic or garlic powder, etc. and stir until evenly coated
5. add meats and cheeses and stir again
6. fill pie pan close to full with yummy nibbles
7. Crack lots of fresh eggs, add a splash of milk (I use rice milk) and whisk. Usually requires 8-12 eggs
8. pour eggs into pie pan until all veggies and meat are covered with egg. You may need to crack more eggs if you have a lot of goodies in your pan.
9. cover with foil and carefully transfer to oven.
10. bake until mostly solid, then remove foil and bake until a knife comes out clean or the eggs in the center look fully cooked

     So, what did I put in it?  Leftover enchilada filling (chicken, cheese and onion) and leftover bread filling (corn and olives).  I ended up having to bake it for about 40 min uncovered and 20 min covered.  I am not sure if that is the right timing or not, as I also had bread baking in the oven as well.  It came out very good, but would have been better with green chiles and more cheese (what wouldn't have?).  But that is something to try for next time... I definitely think this is going to become one of my regular recipes.

     Which brings me on to the bread I tried to make.  I tried to make a Cornmeal sourdough bread with green chiles, corn and cheese.  Because of the sticky disaster that happened when I tried to make it by hand last time, I decided to try a recipe in my bread machine.  Long story short, I found out what happens when you put too much stuff in the bread machine.  It spilled all over its container into the bottom of my machine and even pushed the top up!  I had to finish baking it in the oven (thus the competition with the crustless quiche).  The bread came out well, but I didn't really taste any sourdough or green chile taste.  Scott said that it looked like a roast chicken when it came out.  What do you think?

Leftovers quiche

Green chile cheese cornmeal sourdough


Do I really look like a roast chicken?

Our dinner plate (with the ubiquitous salad)


Happy eater (while watching Julia Child)


No comments:

Post a Comment